Alabama Department of Revenue – Withholding Tax
Alabama Department of Labor – Unemployment tax
Add to existing company setup
Submit a request to your service team to add AL (withholding) and/or ALSUI (unemployment) to your company setup. Please include the below with your request:
- Withholding – Deposit Frequency and Account number. This can be found on a withholding tax coupon or return on income tax withheld form A-1. If you’re unsure of your deposit frequency or account number, you can call the agency at 334-242-1584.
- Third Party Access-TPA Access for withholding is not required to file and pay on your behalf. However, TPA access is needed in order to complete amended returns if needed. If a request for TPA access is needed please see the Third Party Access section below for instructions.
- Unemployment – Tax rate and Account number. This can be found on a Tax Rate Notice or the Quarterly contribution and Wage Report Form UC-CR4. If you’re unsure of your tax rate or account number, you can call the agency at 334-242-8830.
- Power of Attorney- Before we can file and pay your Alabama Unemployment Tax, the Alabama Department of Labor (DOL) requires that you submit a notarized Power of Attorney (POA) form. Please obtain the prefilled form from your client service representative.
Register a new company
Alabama Department of Revenue
Before you can register for a Withholding Tax Account number, you will need to be registered as an employer with the Alabama Department of Revenue. This is a mandatory prerequisite for any employer to obtain a Withholding Tax Account number:
- You can go register for this online with the Alabama Department of Revenue at https://myalabamataxes.alabama.gov/_/
- Click on the BUSINESS icon then Obtain a New Tax Account Number. This will be on the bottom of the page.
Once you have a tax account open follow the steps below to get your Withholding Tax Account number:
- New employers in Alabama can register for a Withholding Account online with the Alabama Department of Revenue at https://revenue.alabama.gov/sales-use/business-tax-online-registration-system/
- Once on this page, you’ll want to read the instructions and then click the icon that says Go to MAT.
- Sign in to your tax account and request to receive a Withholding Account.
You should receive your account number by mail in several weeks, We recommend calling after 3 – 5 days from registering to receive it sooner.
Alabama Department of Labor
Please register online with the Alabama Department of Labor at https://labor.alalabama.gov/egovregistration/ to obtain your Alabama Unemployment tax account. Once you have registered, you will receive your Unemployment Account Number instantly online.
Third Party Registration and/or Power of Attorney Instructions
Third Party Access Instructions for Alabama Department of Revenue
- Go to www.Myalabamataxes.alabama.gov
- Sign up as a “1st time user”
- From the drop down menu choose Withholding
- Key in the Account Number, Sign on Id, Access Code from letter
- Select Validate
- Print confirmation
- An email will be sent to the employer with first time log in authorization code
If a login already exists, only follow the below instructions.
- Log in and grant access to TPA:
- Select Profile, manage logon, settings, TPA=Yes
- Next you will be asked to create another password just for TPA access
- Please provide that password and copy of letter from Alabama with Account Number, Sign on Id and Access Code to your service team.
Power of Attorney Information
Before we can file and pay your Alabama Unemployment Tax, the Alabama Department of Labor (DOL) requires that you submit a notarized Power of Attorney (POA) form. Please obtain the prefilled form from your client service representative.